Shakespeare's Sonnets Retold (for Super Bowl 2020)

Shakespeare's Sonnets Retold
- William Shakespeare, James Anthony, Stephen Fry
- Three Rivers Press

Just for today, since fandom has emotions high in both SF and KC:

The original by Shakespeare:
"Not from the stars do I my judgement pluck,
And yet methinks I have astronomy,
But not to tell of good or evil luck,
Of plagues, of dearths, or seasons' quality,
Nor can I fortune to brief minutes tell,
Pointing to each his thunder, rain, and wind,
Or say with princes if it shall go well,
By oft predict that I in heaven find.
But from thine eyes my knowledge I derive,
And, constant stars, to them I read such art,
As truth and beauty shall together thrive
If from thyself to store thou wouldst convert:
Or else of thee this I prognosticate,
Thy end is Truth's and Beauty's doom and date."

The retelling by James Anthony:
"Now, horoscopes don't influence my mind
But somehow I have got a crystal ball!
I don't mean spotting luck of any kind,
Nor feast and famine, or when rain will fail;
I cannot state what fortune will occur,
Nor indicate which days are good or bad;
I never know which side will win a war,
For insight so divine I've never had.
But looking in your eyes I get to know
The future that their beauty will combine to grow
in children born, encapsulating you.
I may be wrong, but here's what I foretell:
You die, and truth and beauty die as well."

Comments

Popular Posts